Fall is in the air...

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Gobble Gobble

Happy Thanksgiving from Bagh-town!

Here's a peek at my Thanksgiving Dinner. I was running late (thanks to a little Thanksgiving greeting in the form of nearly 20 mortars that destroyed the non-tactical vehicle we use on the FOB, the first indirect fire attack since before Ramadan in September. Fortunately, no serious injuries were reported.) and had to sneak into the galley just after the doors closed at 8PM in order to secure my piece of Americana....and pumpkin pie.


"Dear Occupiers and Infidels...
Enjoy your Thanksgiving Dinner.
Hugs, Mookie al-Sadr."

In the eternal battle of Shrapnel vs. Suburban...shrapnel wins.
Thankfully, we have something better than GEICO. We have KBR!

Nonetheless, I managed to grab a plate of some of the basics--turkey, ham, stuffing, and cornbread--as the food was being put away! Sadly, no baked corn in sight. We even were offered the choice of eating from a plate with silverware, instead of the usual plastic. What the heck, it's a holiday, right, so why not live it up. Sadly, I had to eat by myself, as I had told my guys to go ahead and eat since I was locked down in my compound for nearly three hours, couldn't get out--thanks, Mookie (al-Sadr)--and didn't want them to miss dinner (cue the pitiful music).

The folks who work in the galley, most of whom are from India and Sri Lanka, really go out of their way on holidays--so thanks, fellas. I appreciate your service here, too!

A former colleague wrote to me yesterday. We don't communicate very often, but when I hear from Angela, there is a depth of compassion and sincerity in her writing that moves me. I know she is not a supporter of the war, but she is one of the few who is capable of supporting the warrior nonetheless. Yesterday, Angela wrote to me that:

It brings to mind the comment you shared when you wrote earlier about the military being at war while the rest of America was at the Mall. On Thanksgiving and everyday, I am grateful for your commitment, sense of duty and willingness to serve. Thank you, and thank you to all the men and women who serve (and have served) this country in uniform. Continued blessings, Angela.

Many of my friends and family ask what I would like for Christmas, and seem frustrated when I say there isn't anything that I need. But I have a suggestion. It's pretty simple, really. All that I want, and need, is nothing more than what Angela expressed to me in her note. But not for me alone.

When you see a man or woman in uniform, say "Thank you for your service." That's all it takes. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know a single man or woman who wears the uniform that doesn't appreciate those 5 words. As they say in the Army..."too easy!"

Happy Thanksgiving, friends. I hope that you are blessed this year as I have been by the gift of our friendship.

1 comment:

Nixon said...

That's a good way to spoil your thanksgiving. I was inside during this volley. Looks like you guys got slammed pretty good. But it's way better than it was when I got here in June.