Fall is in the air...

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

America is at the Mall -- or, A Call to Remember Memorial Day

America is not at war.

The (insert your favorite branch of service here) is at war.

America is at the mall.

I referenced this sentiment in an earlier post -- a sentiment that I felt long before I set boots on ground here in Bag-city, but one that has gnawed at me for some time.

The anti-war movement assails the President for failing to ask the American people to sacrifice during war--and fundamentally I don't disagree with them on that point. The only thing we, as a nation, have been asked for is patience, and, in the days after 9/11...dare I say it...to go shopping. We were asked to live our lives as we normally would, ignoring the sounds of war marching all around us. Sadly, that's easy to do in modern America, where the military is less than 1% of the population, and when fewer and fewer communities support military facilities. It's easy to do when large numbers of Americans view this war only as an abstraction, a news report, or nothing more than a political push me-pull me.

Last year, I travelled to Veterans Affairs hospitals across the country, and I spent a number of afternoons visiting Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington. I met many of our nation's wounded warriors, and listened as they spoke about their injuries. I know that I was in the presence of true heroes. Men not focused on themselves, but on their families, and, on the guys that are still out there in the fight.

To suggest that it is not immediately arresting to meet young men (and women) recovering from traumatic injuries, is simply not honest. It is. In fact, in some instances, it's simply shocking. But, the courage these great Americans display is humbling. I mention this, only because it goes back to my point about how easy it is for so many to ignore the war. I can't tell you how many times I have been in an airport or public place, and witnessed the shock and curiosity of the public at the sight of a young soldier or Marine, missing a leg or arm, or an eye. In many cases, our great warriors are applauded, or greeted with quiet nods of thanks or appreciation. In too many cases, it's the averted eyes, the visceral discomfort, or the unwillingness or inability to recognize the serviceman before them. But my guess is that these are many people who "support the troops".

I come back, then, to the question of how is it that those who proclaim their support for our nation's fighting men and women, actually support us. How many volunteer at a VA hospital or even volunteer to drive veterans to their medical appointments? How many, through churches or community groups, gather, box and mail care packages to the guys out in the dust who really need their help the most? How many look for ways to support military families, especially those of deployed reservists, who are often far from the tight-knit support groups of military communities?

How many take time from a Memorial Day picnic to actually observe Memorial Day?

Memorial Day has always been special to me, but not for the reasons it should be. I was born on May 30th -- the real Memorial Day. I grew up just a few miles from Boalsburg, Pa -- a town that bills itself as the birthplace of Memorial Day, and honors that history with an annual observance at the cemetery that first witnessed the decoration of veterans' gravesites.

That, and, the volunteer fire company puts on a really fun fair.

I'll admit that as a kid, I spent more than one Memorial Day at the carnival, and even marched in my 9th grade band in the Memorial Day parade. And, as an adult, I remember more than once battling weekend traffic to the beach.

But, until recently, I don't ever recall visiting a cemetery to honor our nation's fallen war dead.

Last year I spent Memorial Day at the Arizona National Cemetery in Phoenix, and later that day, on a quiet visit to the National Cemetery and VA hospital in Prescott, AZ. In Prescott, every headstone and marker was honored with a small American flag, placed by the local Boy Scouts. I had a chance to speak briefly with one of the troop leaders -- for him and his Scouts, its an annual mission, and from it the boys learn to respect not only their nation, but the sacrifices of those who have gone before to give them, and us, all that we have. It's ironic, isn't it, that because of the gift of freedom and great prosperity, that we enjoy because men and women went into battle and died, we now have the ability to live in a society so detached from our military services, that we can almost ignore the holiday that honors them?

Presidential aspirant John Edwards believes that the best way to honor the service and sacrifice of our war dead, is to instigate protest against the war in Iraq at Memorial Day ceremonies. (http://www.supportthetroopsendthewar.com/) To those who fail to understand that such crass politicization of a holiday honoring our war dead is abhorrent to the very notion of honor, sacrifice and service, who view this "call to armchairs" by Edwards as a noble act of civil disobedience, I want nothing of your hollow wailing of support.

But then I remember Prescott, AZ, where young men and boys learn of patriotism, service, and honor.

So what can I ask of you? For my friends and family at home, the annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Boalsburg Cemetery is Monday, May 28 at 6PM. And there are ceremonies as our national cemeteries across America. Click here for a comprehensive listing.

For those far away, start with a prayer for our fallen heroes, and for their families--not just to yourself, but shared, aloud, with others. A visit to the grave of a family member or friend who served, or flying a flag smartly from your lawn.

Or take even just 15 minutes with your children, explain what Memorial Day means, and why it's important now, in the 5th year of a long war, to remember. They, and we, will be the better for it.

P.S. And a Memorial Day/birthday card for your favorite sailor wouldn't hurt, either. ;)

1 comment:

David M said...

Trackbacked by The Thunder Run - Web Reconnaissance for 05/28/2007
A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention.