Fall is in the air...

Friday, June 15, 2007

You know it's hot when....


...the dogs are wearing shoes because the pavement is sizzling!

I love this pup. There are a LOT of working dogs here in Iraq -- for all the obvious reasons. Most are pretty tough looking woofers that you really wouldn't want to mess with.


But this little guy is different.


Not only is he just not the least bit ferocious looking but...he's wearing BOOTIES to keep his pads from burning on the hot asphalt. No wonder he looks so much happier than his handler (who I cropped out of the photo).


Last week we had some relief from the early summer heat. I think the high was 112. It looks like we're headed for another week consistently in the 115-117 range.

Saturday. Sunny. Extremely hot, Breezy. Temperature of 117°F. Winds 19mph NW. Humidity will be 5% with a dewpoint of 27° and comfort level of 108°F. There is a 0% chance of precipitation. High: 117°F Low: 84°F

Sunday. Sunny. Extremely hot, Breezy. Temperature of 117°F. Winds 16mph NW. Humidity will be 6% with a dewpoint of 30° and comfort level of 108°F. There is a 0% chance of precipitation. High: 117°F Low: 88°F

Monday. Sunny. Extremely hot, Dry. Temperature of 115°F. Winds 12mph W. Humidity will be 8% with a dewpoint of 37° and comfort level of 108°F. There is a 0% chance of precipitation. High: 115°F Low: 88°F

(Do you get the opinion that being a weatherman in Iraqi ain't such a tough gig?)

We were definitely up there today. When it's hot like this I can actually feel the heat on my skin through my uniform. And, for what it's worth, you really do need those big sunglasses I'm sporting (see pic in previous post)...not because they look cool, which they definitely don't, and not just because they were issued to me, which they were.

But only because they're Oakleys, and who can turn down free Oakleys. (Thank you, taxpayers!)

Seriously...the air here is so dry, and so hot, that without the wrap around Oakleys, it feels like someone is pointing a hot blow-dryer directly into your eyes.

And my Iraqi friends keep telling me it's not hot yet...

6 comments:

The Un-Fidel said...

"I love this pup. There are a LOT of working dogs here in Iraq -- for all the obvious reasons. Most are pretty tough looking woofers that you really wouldn't want to mess with. But this little guy is different. Not only is he just not the least bit ferocious looking but...he's wearing BOOTIES to keep his pads from burning on the hot asphalt."

We need to see more of this little guy, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Poor puppy needs a ice pack... a wet or frozen bandana would do this working dog wonders. He'd like for his next deployment to be in the Arctic!

Anonymous said...

Great web site. I loved the history lesson for your niece. You obviously have a heart for relating your story and also understanding most people there are just raising their families and trying to make a life for them. Maybe that is a blessing of being one of the "old guys" in the fight. :-)

I can relate so much to picking up on the commonly used inshala ... badain inshalla ... bookrah inshalla ... used a lot for procrastinators. I lived in Dhahran for 15 years as an oil brat, and still say shukran regularly. Ok, it gets odd looks here, but it is good to challenge people's brains and comfort zones.

My daughter is now 15 and it would be great if some day she could visit a peaceful and prosperous Middle East. She is a budding chef and has mastered humus and tabouli - I raised her right!

Thanks for serving and keep on task so all our soldiers can come home sooner. You are very much appreciated for the sacrifice and commitment

For a laugh, read the front page of milblogging.com, which is how I linked to your blog. JP has posted a Soldiers Rules for Requesting Care Packages that I wrote for him last week. Must have some humor in it all. And, soldiers can never have enough rules, eh? :-)

Get that dog an icepack! It's 100 degrees above his optimal operating temperature.

inplanesite at yahoo dot come

Bag Blog said...

I found your blog while surfing the milblogs. Because I think it is rude to drop by without saying hi, I thought Iwould leave a comment. You have a great blog with some wonderful pictures. I will be back to do some more reading. I am also a Soldiers' Angel - Let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Hey I found your blog through milblog listings. I just wanted to say thanks for everything you're doing. Hopefully I'll be Navy within a year. Keep up the good work, and I'll be a return visitor to you're blog.

-Joe

Anonymous said...

Ran across this again through my Bookmarks, and glad to see you writing again. We're on the same path ... while living in Arabia, I went to highschool (boarding) in Pennsylvania. Loved hanging out with the big kids in State College, and regularly encourage my now-sophomore kiddo to apply there. Her cousin attends now. Also, before being an oil brat, I was a Boeing brat. Born in Seattle, returned in time for college. Beauty is everywhere in the Northwest, from the San Juan Islands, to downtown Seattle, and across to Victoria, BC. The only place maybe more beautiful, just maybe, is New Zealand's north island. Nice to know you loved my corner of the USA!

Thanks, truly, for serving our great country. You could be in a tidy office filing briefs and billing $200 per hour. Keep working on getting it all working. You are appreciated.

Let me know if you need a box of decent pens and some Starbucks ground. Sorry you won't make kickoff, but they'll be playing for all you guys and gals!

Karen
inplanesite at yahoo dot com